Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Let's talk about jicama

What do you know about this edible root? I have noticed it is showing up in resturants and used in many raw recipes. I ordered jicama fries at a local Mexican resturant. They were served raw and cut to resemble a fried french fry. They were severed with a delicous cilantro sauce (I believe it was dairy based, so I will be trying to make it at home without dairy). They were so good! I ate them all and didn't share any of them.
I have been using jicama in some raw dishes. I peel the root and cube it and place it in the food processor and chop until it resembles rice. I like to drain a little of the water off, add vinegar and agave and now I have a "sushi rice". I believe I got the recipe from "Raw Food, Real World".
Here's some facts I found while goggling jicama......
It is 86%-90% water and is very hydrating. High in vitamin C and no fat and has about 45 calories in one cup.
The root's exterior is yellow and papery, while its inside is creamy white with a crisp texture that resembles raw potato or pear. The flavor is sweet and starchy, reminiscent of some apples or raw green beans, and it is usually eaten raw, sometimes with salt, lemon, or lime juice and chili powder. It is also cooked in soups and stir-fried dishes.
Most grocery stores are carrying these wonderful roots (although I went to Kroger last week to purchase one, the bin said jicama, but it was actually a celery root-so get to know the shape and color).

No comments:

Post a Comment